FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Register Log in

Ask Questions. Share Answers. Pitch Better.

velocity of college pitchers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdbaseball
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2007    Post subject: velocity of college pitchers Reply with quote

whats the average velocity of pitchers of D1 D2 and D3 colleges
Jacobs 18
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1 Id say 87-88? D2 85-86? D3 83-84? I really have no idea, but I think those sound about right.
Goal: 93-94 by next season
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wales Diesel
Legend
Legend

It's too vague of a question and you'll never get an answer that majority of people will be happy with because of how spread out College is, you have schools all of the Sates. Some people say the West cost has 'X' velocity average, others will say the Florida region has 'Y' velocity average.

Velocity alone doesn't dictate where you as a Pitcher can play at the Collegiate level keep that in mind.
Spencer
Superstar
Superstar

D1: 88-93
D2: 83-88
D3: 80-83

I'll agree with wales and jacobs
Hammer
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

I'm a lefty, but going into college I was only 80-83 but I commanded the ball, was 6'3, and had a feel for the game, and I was able to go d1 with that. So really there are too many variables to consider when placing an average velocity for their respective levels.
palo20
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think D1 AVG is 88-93. MLB avg for a RHP is right around 90, and about 87-88 for a LHP. Since we're talking about averages, 88-93 is quite high. I agree though that it's a very vague and broad question.
TK09
College
College

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother topped out low 80s probably sat high 70s-80, but had a filthy hook, nasty split, a great change, good movement on all his pitches, and could locate all of them. He was a very successful D2 pitcher and had the opportunity to play D1 when entering college. I also have another friend who threw 96, but was a terrible pitcher. Had no other pitches and no control what so ever, literally could not hit the strike zone for his life. He didn't get to play in high school because he'd throw 16 pitches and the first run would be walking home and no one would be out. So he walked on at a D3 and did terrible there, had an ERA over 4. He did get drafted after that for the velocity but the moral of the story is that velocity alone is a tough determinant, there are too many other factors that come into play.

I also don't think 88 - 90 something is the D1 average. If I had to make a guess I would say on average, D3 is probably somewhere in the 70s, D2 high 70s - low 80s, D1 mid 80s. There's people who throw faster & slower in all of course but thats my guess towards what the average velocity would be in each division if you actually went to each school in the country, good and bad, and actually tried find the average velocities. Thats just an absolute guess though lol.
RTusk40
Major League
Major League

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2007    Post subject: VLO Reply with quote

Many people put too much emphasis on vlo, the best pitcher on my SS team this year never topped above 83 but had the nastiest change that I have ever seen! I played in a pretty big baseball conference (MVC) with Top-25 teams like Wichita State and Evansville, and I would say the average fastball that we saw was about 85-86 MPH. All of the weekend starters were 88-91 (to 94) and the relievers were like mid to upper 80s
UndersizedRHP
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

D3 75-95
D2 75-95
DI 75-95

theres some numbers
palo20
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaineBall wrote:
D3 75-95
D2 75-95
DI 75-95

theres some numbers

Yup
Priceless
All Star
All Star

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a DIII coach (a school which pretty consistently is in the top 25) and he said that his ace was hitting 90 and that most of his guys where in the upper 70s-mid 80's range. I would guess DII would be low 80s-upper 80s and DI to be mid 80s to low 90s.
ZW#17
Major League
Major League

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

palo20 wrote:
MaineBall wrote:
D3 75-95
D2 75-95
DI 75-95

theres some numbers

Yup

Thats pretty much it all around, it depends on the location of the school, what the coach is looking for, if the kid knows how to pitch, etc. Coaches know when a kid knows how to pitch and they will give him a chance because as we all know a below average fastball can still get outs just look at Maddux and Moyer. College coaches know that too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LetsTalkPitching.com Forum Index -> General Pitching Advice All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: